Pages

Saturday, August 25, 2012

Wanting color advice!

So one of the projects I would like to complete this fall is a basic striped cardigan called Paulie.

Paulie via Ravelry
But I have a dilema... I can't decide between two color pairings that I came up with. So I need your help, internet. Which of the following two colorways do you like best:

KnitPicks Palette in Marble Heather and Stroll Hand Painted in County Fair
The first color pairing would use a medium grey for the main color and a jewel toned hand painted yarn for the stripes. The benefit to this sweater is that it is "neutral" in the sense that the main color is a neutral, but also the colors in the stripes will go along with most, if not all, of my cool weather wardrobe. And even though the main color is grey, the colorful stripes will keep it from being boring.

KnitPicks Palette in Blue Note Heather and Brass Heather
The second color pairing will also be a good staple because both blues and tans are sometimes neutrals for me. It might not be as versatile as the grey version, but I can still see this being a good wardrobe staple. But really the biggest benefit for me in this sweater is a chance for me to wave my geek flag and make a Ravenclaw (book version) themed sweater. I've been wanting to make a Ravenclaw something for ages, but I didn't want to make something that immediately screams Harry Potter. Considering this isn't a pattern used in the movies and focuses on the colors from the books and not films, maybe that will work. But geek flag aside, I still really like this color combination and the brightness of the yarn will still add some color to an otherwise drab season.

So what say you, blogosphere? Do you like the first option or the second option best and is there any particular reason why? I would really appreciate some feed back or I'll probably end up staring at these until spring and won't get around to making anything! (Though if I end up really liking the pattern, I might make both! But I do need a start.)

2 comments: