Pages

Friday, October 14, 2011

Prints!

Cactus Ferruginous Pygmy Owl

And here it is! One of my first prints of the fall. It's a two block linocut with chine collé (collage). The yellows and background are different decorative handmade papers. This is the first time I've done something as detailed as this with chine collé and I'm pretty happy with the results. I've got some other versions currently drying, so I'll post a few other versions in the future.

This is the first owl in a (hopeful) series of ten that will focus on endangered and extinct owl species. This little guy is the Cactus Ferruginous Pygmy Owl, a little guy who lives in cacti in Arizona and Northern Mexico. (The actual print is 8x10 and the size of the printed owl is about twice the size of the real owl, so I really do mean little.) This pygmy owl has actually been removed from the endangered species list due to "erroneous data", but there are petitions to have it put back on the list. Due to how rare it has become, I think this owl fits in perfectly with the series because it's one of the few that can make note of how not every animal that should be on the endangered species list is on the list.

Hopefully now you understand why my blog is called Birds and Ink...birds and printmaking two of my favorite things!

2 comments:

  1. This is beautiful! Owls, like cats and hippos, are some of my favorite animals.

    Garnet

    ReplyDelete