Pages

Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Cadence Chart Editing

Here it is! The how to edit a chart post!

If you’re new to knitting, new to following charts, or are like me and are sometimes just too eager to read ahead in a pattern (lesson learned!), then redrafting a chart is something that could be very useful to you. For Cadence, like I said earlier, reading ahead in the pattern is very important when you’re doing the yoke. There are increases listed for each size that need to be included when knitting the yoke, but they are not drawn out in the included chart. (From what I’ve seen, charts never do that. It’d be a little crazy for the person who drafted it to do so, so I don’t blame them.) Basically all that you need to do this is the Cadence pattern, some graph paper (to make it easier), and a pencil. Lets get to it! (NOTE: This tutorial applies to all sizes EXCEPT size S. Size S is the only size that gets to follow the chart as printed.)

DSC_0002


For all of the following instructions, I will be doing this for size large/42.5”. If you are not that size, you need to follow along in the instructions for your size and make changes as needed. The first thing I usually do when using patterns that I print off is to find all the parts in the brackets that relate to my size. For example, the sizes are listed XS[S, M, L, 1X, 2X, 3X]. Since I’m knitting size L, I go through and circle the 3rd number in each bracket so I don’t lose track. (You don’t have to do this, I just like doing this to make it easier on myself.) So skipping ahead to the section under Chart Patterns, I know I will repeat the body chart 4 times between markers and so on.


Now for the tricky part that made me make this chart in the first place. The two sections labeled AT THE SAME TIME, these are BOTH made AT THE SAME TIME as the yoke chart. They are not listed on the chart, so don’t be like me and get excited and just do the chart as pictured UNLESS you are size S. (Lucky!) Here is the original chart from the pattern:


For the sleeve increases for size L, it says to work 2 rounds in the pattern and then work a sleeve increase round. So every 3 rounds, I will make 1 stitch at each end of the chart. This will be repeated 12 times. Doing the math, people knitting size L will make increases on rounds 3, 6, 9, 12, 15, 18, 21, 24, 27, 30, 33, 36, and 39. The chart only has 21 rounds, so there will be increases after the chart is completed as well. (I use a stitch counter. I highly recommend one for this pattern.) So drawing out the new chart, every 3rd round I added a square on each end to mark the m1 spaces.


For the body increases for size L, it says to work 6 rounds in the pattern and then work a body increase round. So every 7 rounds, I will again make 1 stitch at each end of the chart, same as the sleeve increases. This will be repeated 5 times. Increases will be made on rounds 7, 14, 21, 28, and 35. (Again, some increases will be made after the chart is completed.) Drawing out the new chart, every 7th round has an extra square for the m1 spaces.


So now that you know which rows need increases added, you can draw it out on your graph paper. Counting is pretty important! One way to make it easy is to lightly trace the old chart onto the graph paper and then to edit it as you go. My graph paper wasn’t the same as the chart, so I counted the squares and drew them starting with round one. Working up is going to be much easier than working down, so start at the bottom!

This is a long post, but I hope this helps! If you have any questions, don’t hesitate to ask. I hope your sweaters turn out nicely!

No comments:

Post a Comment