Pages

Thursday, August 18, 2011

Teaching

It's been a week, but I have not forgotten about you, blog. I know you're here. Don't worry.

Ok, I'll stop talking to a webpage now. I just started my student teaching observations this week, so I've been kind of busy. (Also tired. Getting up at 5:30am to be at the high school by 7:00 is hard. Very, very hard.) It's only been 3 days, but I absolutely love the high school I'm at. It's amazing. It is a high school I wish I could have gone to. The kids are fantastic and are pretty easy to work with. The staff is very nice and helpful (at least the ones I've met are). This has been an all around good experience and I can't wait to come back in the winter to teach. In another week I'll be at the elementary school I'm also student teaching at and it's also another one of those fantastic schools. I lucked out. I can only hope that I can get a job at a school as great as the ones I'm student teaching at.

Yesterday before I left, the head of the art department came into my mentor teacher's classroom and right away gave me a task. She handed me a 36"x36" inch square of brown felt and asked me to come up with something to make for the fiber art class. (I lucked out that I get to teach a class about sewing! Luckily it's all by hand and I know how to do that pretty well.) She said all she could come up with was teddy bears and really, what high school student really wants to make a felt teddy bear? Especially the boys. (Yes, there are boys in the fiber art class. Most did not know that it was about sewing. They're doing fine, though.) So the three of us brainstormed and came up with making a lesson on moccasins! They'll be felt slipper moccasins, but still. So I messed around with the felt and came up with a sorry excuse for a slipper, but I'm getting somewhere. Hopefully soon I'll have something to show that doesn't look too bad to photograph and post. I already started the research and I can tell I'll have fun with this.

Also the knitalong is coming up! I'm going to have to start shopping around for yarn soon, in case I need to order it online. I also am seriously thinking about making a dress for the renaissance festival, so I'm looking at patterns online. I am finding enough to make me think about doing something other than the one I posted, we shall see!

2 comments:

  1. Moccasins sound great, especially since there are boys in the class. There are fun sewing things you can do for/with boys but they just take a bit more thought.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, the class is learning basic embroidery skills right now and actually the guys are doing pretty well! At first they were all, "aahhh, why am I taking a sewing class," but a few days later and they don't mind as much anymore. The girls don't seem to mind helping them either. ;)

    ReplyDelete