Pages

Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Renaissance Festival Dress

For the past few years, I've been looking for a dress to wear to the Ohio Renaissance Festival. I've looked at the festival and online, but either am not impressed by the design of the dresses or the ones I want are too expensive. Also I tend to favor dresses that look a bit more medieval instead of Elizabethan (which is the time period for the ORF). I was looking at costume patterns and I think I found one that I like: Butterick B4827.



I really like the simple elegance of it and from what I've seen on forums and blogs, it's not a bad pattern to start out with. Yes, it would be totally awesome to go to the festival completely decked out in an Elizabethan dress, but my skills are nowhere near what they'd have to be for that. (Maybe one day.) I think pairing this dress and finding a simple pattern for a head cover (I have a short angled bob - not exactly period) would make a good costume. Also since it's been pretty hot the past few times I've gone, I think I would probably make one in cotton. It'd be easier to wear in the heat and also easier for me to work with, since I've never even hand sewn silk, etc. And I did find an interesting version of the dress here that I really like. I could find a pattern for a chemise that could fit under the dress or just make one dress with sleeves and one without. Something to think about. I doubt I'd be able to get one done in time, but it's definitely on my list of things to do in the future.

2 comments:

  1. It's so much fun to be dressed up at the Ren Fest! Last year, I started mine at the beginning of September (during school) and it was literally the second garment I'd sewn (the first being an apron). So I think you could do this pattern in time if you wanted to.

    And I'm doing the knit along too, so that should be fun. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can always try! Life has been getting in the way of my other projects, but I think next time I go to the fabric store I'll pick up the materials for it at least.

    Yay! I think the knitalong is going to be fun to do.

    ReplyDelete